Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity (DIE) and the Death of Meritocracy
At the root of the DIE religion is the unflappable and irrational belief that societies must exhibit equality of outcomes on every possible human endeavor. When this cancerous objective is not met, it is presumed that the sole possible explanation is institutionalized bigotry. Of course, people with functioning brains recognize that most complex phenomena are multifactorial in their causes. In other words, a disparity in outcomes is likely caused by a large number of factors of which institutionalized bigotry might be absent from such a list. For the readers interested in the pernicious effects of the DIE religion and its attack on the meritocratic ethos, please read The Parasitic Mind: How Infectious Ideas Are Killing Common Sense.
With that in mind, let’s apply the “liberating” framework of the DIE religion to a broad range of phenomena. You’ll note that there is nothing in my satirical take that violates the central tenet of the DIE cult.
1. Of the nearly 200 countries that have participated in men’s soccer world cups (including qualifying rounds), only EIGHT countries have ever lifted the trophy (Brazil, Italy, Germany, Argentina, France, Uruguay, England, and Spain). No African country has ever won: Racism. No Muslim-majority country has ever won: Islamophobia. Israel has never won: Anti-Semitism. No national team with a majority of trans women (biological males) has ever won: Transphobia. No national team with a majority of gay men (as far as we know) has ever won: Homophobia.
2. Since 1988, a Kenyan runner has won the men’s division of the Boston Marathon on 22 occasions. Ethiopian runners have won it on six occasions. In other words, runners of two nations have almost exclusively dominated the Boston Marathon. Why no Vietnamese winners? Why does the Boston Marathon discriminate against noble runners from Laos? I don’t see any Lebanese Jews on the podium. Arabophobia and anti-Semitism in one nice packet of bigotry!
3. Of the top 25 leading NFL rushers of all-time, 24 are black. This is disgusting racism. How could a Korean kid ever aspire to win the NFL rushing title when he does not see himself represented on that list? Why does the NFL discriminate against Koreans? This is shameful.
4. Jews, despite their very small global population, are extraordinarily overrepresented as Nobel prize winners. Clearly, this must be some Zionist plot that keeps people from Yemen from winning the Nobel Prize more often. Not a single winner from Namibia? Why the bigotry, Stockholm bigots? Why?
5. Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have won all but one of the Ballon D’Or (awarded to the top soccer player in the world) over the past 12 years. The other winner was Luka Modrić. None of the three players is black, trans, or Muslim. Why the disgusting hate against trans Muslims of color?
I could produce another 13 trillion cases that point to the poisonous idiocy of the DIE religion, but I trust that my point is fully made. Identity politics poisons everything it touches. The only path to a truly just and enlightened society is via the ethos of individual dignity. Life is competition and competition is life. If and when there are obstacles to an equality of opportunities, let us eradicate these. But let us never confuse institutionalized barriers to the assortment of competitive outcomes.